Kevin Spicy Pretending to be Vegan Lentil Okra Chili
Elliface here. Honestly, vegan and vegetarian food fascinates me when it's done right. There's so much more thought and science behind making foods taste just fine without all the meaty or dairy shortcuts. Sometimes Kevin likes to stretch these vegan muscles, even though he's an omnivore like the rest of us.
- ⅓ cups Olive Oil
- 1 ¼ cups diced Onion
- 2 teaspoons minced Garlic
- 1 cup diced red Cabbage
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoons Curry Powder
- ¼ cups diced green Bell Pepper
- ½ teaspoons ground Fennel Seed
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 15 ounces canned Diced Tomatoes
- 2 ½ cups Vegetable Broth/Stock
- 1 cup brown Lentils
- ½ cups canned Hemp Milk
- 2 cups sliced Okra
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, and cabbage and saute until onions are translucent, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add cumin, cayenne, curry powder, fennel seeds, and green pepper. Continue to cook an additional 1 minute.
- Stir in tomato paste, diced tomatoes, vegetable stock, and lentils. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Add hemp milk and okra. Continue to simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, or until lentils are fully cooked.
- (optional) Plate in a bowl and add a dollop of sour cream with some chives and text the picture to your vegan pal and wait for them to unfriend you on Facebook