Thai Lettuce Wraps
It takes a lot of steps to make what Elli lovingly refers to as a "Thai Taco", but the taste is miles away from any yummy taco you've ever had before. Between the sauce on the chicken and the peanut sauce on top, these flavors are unparalleled and delicious. We based this recipe off one found on Food Network
Chicken and Marinade:
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce (we used a combo of fish sauce and sesame oil)
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Lettuce and Fillings:
- 8 butter lettuce leaves
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup cucumber slices
- 1 cup cooked thin rice noodles
- 1/3 cup sweet chili sauce
- For the chicken and marinade: Mix the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, grated ginger, Sriracha, rice wine vinegar and grated garlic in a large bowl or resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken strips and marinate, refrigerated, for 2 hours.
- Heat a grill pan over high heat.
- Remove the chicken strips from the marinade and grill until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with the peanuts and cilantro.
- For the lettuce and fillings: Set out the lettuce, bean sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cucumbers and rice noodles on the serving platter.
- To assemble, use the butter lettuce leaves to contain the chicken and fillings. Add some chili, then roll them up and eat!