Kevin Spicy's Garlic Bread Braid
We all know that Kevin is fancy as fuck. All you need to do is watch him on the show 2-3 times before the Spicy Essence begins to leak out. Kevin can't just buy bread and add garlic, no... He's got to roast his own garlic and bake his own garlic bread.
Roasting Your Own Damn Garlic Heads Directions
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (205° C). (A toaster oven works great for this.)
- Peel and discard the papery outer layers of the whole garlic bulb, leaving intact the skins of the individual cloves of garlic. Using a sharp knife, cut 1/4 to a 1/2 inch from the top of cloves, exposing the individual cloves of garlic.
- Place the garlic heads in a baking pan, cut side up. (A muffin pan works great for this, as it keeps the garlic bulbs from rolling around.) Drizzle a couple teaspoons of olive oil over each exposed head, using your fingers to rub the olive oil over all the cut, exposed garlic cloves. Cover the bulb with aluminum foil. Bake at 400°F (205°C) for 30-35 minutes, or until the cloves feel soft when pressed.
- Allow the garlic to cool enough so you can touch it without burning yourself. Use a small small knife cut the skin slightly around each clove. Use a cocktail fork or your fingers to pull or squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins.
- 1 1/2 tbsp rosemary, dried
- 5 cloves roasted garlic, minced or crushed
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast, active dry
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1 large egg white
- In large bowl, add rosemary, garlic, yeast, salt, water, and olive oil. Stir until yeast is dissolved. Mix in 2 cups of flour. Add enough remaining flour until the dough is soft and not sticky. Knead dough in your mixer for 8 minutes. If you don't have a mixer, place dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 8 minutes. Place dough in greased medium bowl and flip dough over so that the top is also lightly greased. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise for 1 hour in a warm, draft-free place.
- Punch down dough. Turn dough out and knead for 5 minutes. Divide dough into 3 equal parts and let sit for 10 minutes to relax the dough. Grease a baking sheet. Roll each dough part into an 18-inch rope. Braid ropes on greased sheet, pinch ends together. Let rise for 45 minutes or until doubled in a warm, draft-free place.
- In small bowl, use a fork to lightly beat the egg white and tablespoon of water. Brush mixture on braided loaf. Bake at 450 degrees F for 30 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Let cool on rack.