Fried Pickle Spears
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil or rendered chicken fat (schmaltz), for deep-frying
- 5 half-sour or dill pickles, quartered lengthwise
- 1 cup panko (Japanese bread cumbs)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
In a medium saucepan, heat 1 1/2 inches of oil to 350°.
In a food processor, pulse the panko until finely ground. Transfer the panko to a shallow dish, combine beaten eggs and buttermilk and transfer to a second dish, and add flour, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne pepper to a third shallow dish.
Remove the pickle spears from the brine and gently pat them dry. Dust the pickle spears in the flour and tap off the excess, then dip them in the buttermilk mixture, letting any excess drip off. Dredge the pickles in the panko to coat thoroughly.
Fry the pickles in 2 batches until golden, about 4 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
Spicy Mayo for Dipping
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Mix together the mayonnaise with the garlic and cayenne and season with salt and black pepper.